TestGorilla has a wide selection of tests. Combining multiple test types in your assessment gives the best predictive value.
On TestGorilla, you find the following types of tests:
- Cognitive ability tests, such as Critical Thinking or Numerical Reasoning
- Role-specific tests, such as the Product Owner test or the DevOps test
- Programming tests, across 8 key languages and many frameworks
- Software skill tests, such as MS Outlook or HubSpot
- Situational judgment tests, such as Negotiation or Integrity
- Personality tests, such as the Enneagram or DISC test
- Culture fit test, measuring alignment in terms of values, interests, and traits
- Language tests, at two levels, B1 (intermediate) and C1 (proficient)
Extensive research has been done to understand what hiring methods actually predict job performance. One of the most important studies in this area is Frank Schmidt’s meta-analysis of a century’s worth of workplace productivity data. The table below shows the results of this study: the predictive validity of some commonly used test types, ranked by effectiveness.
As it turns out, multi-measure tests, combining different types of tests, are the best predictors of whether candidates will be successful in their job.
So imagine you create an assessment for a front-end engineer. You will get the best predictive results if you use tests from a range of test types:
Front-end engineer assessment
Test 1: Angular
Test 2: CSS
Test 3: Critical thinking
Test 4: Numerical reasoning
Test 5: Culture fit
The first two tests are role-specific. They measure your candidate's ability to apply their job-related skills and knowledge to be effective as a front-end engineer. Test 3 and 4 measure the candidate's intellect, specifically those you may deem relevant to the role of a front-end engineer. And as you may want to get a sense of how the engineer would fit in your company and among the other developers, you include a culture fit test. This last test requires you to fill out a survey that asks you questions about your company values and relevant traits and interests for the role specifically.
Similarly, for a digital marketing specialist, your selection of tests may look like this:
Digital marketing specialist assessment
Test 1: Google Ads
Test 2: Facebook advertising
Test 3: Problem solving
Test 4: DISC (personality)
Test 5: Culture fit
So in summary, combine tests from different types in order to have the best predictor of job success.